The International Exhibition of Milan in 1906 was held from 28 April to 11 November of that year in the halls and buildings specially constructed behind the Sforzesco Castel (now Sempione Park). The theme chosen was that of transport. For the occasion were invested 13 million lira (almost 6.720 euro), the new buildings were 225 including the civic aquarium. The participants were 40 nations, 35,000 exhibitors, visitors were estimated at more than 5 million, a record for the time.
The goldsmith Annibale Cusi won the Gran Premio in the Decorative Arts Section for the spectacular “Mary Stewart” necklace. The necklace was completely articulated and made from “platiuralium”, a new and very light alloy invented by Annibale Cusi, and evoked the effect of a delicate lace collar